Skip to content

BREAKING: Vatican blames ‘failure in communication’ for Anglican service in pope’s church in Rome

Pope Francis at the Archbasilica of St. John Lateran, Sept. 27, 2018.

About 50 Anglican clergymen, who are not in communion with the Catholic Church, took part in religious services at the highest-ranking papal basilica in Rome on Tuesday, April 18. The Vatican later released a statement of regret, attributing the incident to a failure in communication.

The clergymen, who were accompanied by Bishop Jonathan Baker of the Church of England, are part of the Anglican Communion, which broke away from the Catholic Church in 1534 amid King Henry VIII’s frustration that he could not receive an annulment for his marriage. The Catholic Church does not consider Anglican holy orders valid and does not recognize Anglican orders as valid, which means they cannot validly celebrate Mass.

The Anglican service was celebrated at the Archbasilica of St. John Lateran in Rome, which is the oldest basilica in Rome and the official seat of the bishop of Rome, the pope.

In a statement issued Thursday, Bishop Guerino Di Tora, who serves as the vicar of the archpriest of the Lateran Basilica, said the incident was the result of a “failure in communication” and that he “expresses deep regret for what happened.”

The statement said that “a group of about 50 priests, accompanied by their bishop, all belonging to the Anglican Communion, celebrated on the high altar of the cathedral of Rome in contravention of the canonical norms. Di Tora also explained that the regrettable episode was caused by a failure in communication.”

Pope Francis met with Baker and the other clergymen on Wednesday morning, but it’s unclear how or why they were given authorization to conduct a religious service at the archbasilica.

The Anglican clergy who took part in the service are Anglo-Catholic. Despite the name, the group is in communion with the Anglican Church and not in communion with the Catholic Church. Anglo-Catholics tend to hold more traditional views than the Anglican Church as a whole, such as an opposition to ordaining women.

Receive the most important news from EWTN Vatican via WhatsApp. It has become increasingly difficult to see Catholic news on social media. Subscribe to our free channel today

Share

Would you like to receive the latest updates on the Pope and the Vatican

Receive articles and updates from our EWTN Newsletter.

More news related to this article

Restoring the Marble Marvel: Vatican’s Apollo Belvedere Returns to Glory

After a meticulous five-year restoration, the Vatican Museums have unveiled the Apollo Belvedere in its original marble splendor.

Pope Francis gives a shoutout to 2022 FIFA World Cup

Pope Francis gave a shoutout to the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar at the end of his

Pope Leo XIV to movie makers: Film can portray ‘longing for the infinite’

Pope Leo XIV told representatives of the global film industry on Saturday that cinema is far more than

Pope invites continued dialogue in message to new Archbishop of Canterbury Sarah Mullally

Mullally’s installation as archbishop of Canterbury took place on March 25. Pope Leo XIV expressed the desire to

At Assumption Mass, Pope Leo XIV urges Catholics to say ‘yes’ to God

Pope Leo XIV celebrated the Assumption Mass Friday at Castel Gandolfo’s Church of St. Thomas of Villanova, urging Catholics to make the Magnificat their own.

LIVE from the Vatican: Synod on Synodality Special Coverage

This EWTN News special from the Vatican covers the last week of the Synod on Synodality. Our hosts,

LIVE
FROM THE VATICAN

Be present live on EWTNVatican.com